Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Uneventful, but Relaxing

Today was just... beach. Glorious, glorious Fulong Beach. Very chill; the wind made it the perfect temperature; not much designated swimming space, but I just wanted to chill and float a while anyway. I went with Morgan, a girl at the hostel who goes to JMU (in Virginia) and is just staying a few days on her way back from geography "classes/research" in the Philippines. Didn't use a lot of Chinese today, but when I did I was largely successful - and of course I felt great because I was translating for someone! Besides relaxing, we also got to see some pretty big sand sculptures (some with hilarious English translations), and a Daoist (?) temple with the most intricate/numerous ceramics and carvings I've ever seen. I can't even fathom the number of person-hours it must have taken to make/decorate the place. Oh, and for lunch we tried the (apparently famous) Fulong "lunchboxes" (biandan?), which basically consist of a small box-like container of rice topped with a piece each of some different types of meat, tofu, and/or an egg. Quite good, but not worthy of being called "famous," I don't think.

Right now I'm heading out to that club I mentioned, just to see how it is (and because a bunch of hostel folk walked over a few minutes ago). I doubt I'll stay long - that relaxing was apparently very taxing on my body, because I can barely keep my eyes open and it's only 9:30!

~Ethan

P.S. David Demres, a fellow ICLP-er (but, I believe, a sophomore and in L5?) took my recommendation and decided to come stay at the hostel. Still haven't seen him yet - maybe he went to Roxy's with the gang? - but he's around.

P.P.S. Still no camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment